Childhood

Old Toys
By Rebekah Perkins

Up in the attic in an old chest,
There I sat with all the rest,
Once we were treasured and handled with care,
I would have a bow carefully tied in my hair,
We would go with her wherever she went,
At night she would snuggle up with us perfectly content,
She always set the table carefully for tea,
Then get us ready for her party,
We would play outside in the summer time,
Singing with the birds watching the sun shine,
She would smooth out my dress and comb my hair,
And once a year we would go to the fair.
But that was long ago before we were forgotten,
And put up in the attic with the linens and cotton,
Tucked in a old chest for twenty years or more,
Until another little girl came up to explore,
She took us out and dusted us off,
Now she plays with us every day in the barn loft,
As her mother once did she braids my hair,
And puts every one of us away with care.


Comments

Popular Posts