Help Me See

It Was Me
By Rebekah Perkins

Lord help me to truly see,
It was me who hung you on that cursed old tree,
It was me who watched you hanging there,
It was me who spit, and plucked your hair.

It was me who drove those nails in,
With never a thought towards my grievous sin,
It was me who plunged the spear in your side,
I drew the blood, that my surety supplied.

It was me who barred the way to your grave, 
It was me who would not believe you could save,
It was me who would not believe you rose again,
And it was me that tried to blind the eyes of men.

It was me, when you had gone,
That tried to stamp out your Saints in song,
It was me who persecuted your name,
It was me who tried to bring your followers to shame.

It was me who just refused to see,
That you, the Christ, had come for me,
It was me who kicked against the pricks,
Gladly falling into Satan's tricks.

It was me who would not listen to your joyful sound,
It was me that drove so many Saints to the ground,
It was me who went on blindly,
Leaving blood, and chaos behind me.  

It was me who from your presence fled,
And it was to me, you still sweetly said,
"Come unto me, and I will give you rest."
It was me who finally saw, your love, of every love the best.

Comments

  1. Love this. It makes me love Him even more for what He did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I wrote that when the realization that it WAS me that did all those things to Jesus, finally hit home. I can distance myself from Jesus' death, telling myself it was all the people back then that killed him. But, if had been there, I would've been right there along with all of them, mocking him, beating him, killing him.
    Thanks for your comment =).
    ~Bekah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts